Posted by: "Mirzh Haseebul Hassan" firstname.lastname@example.org mirza_hasan31
Date: Tue Sep 9, 2008 3:14 pm
THINGS THAT DO NOT BREAK THE FAST
1. Applying eye-drops or antimony (surma).
2. Water entering the ears.
3. Vomiting un-intentionally irrespective of the amount.
4. Swallowing saliva.
5. Ejaculation of semen during sleep (wet dream).
6. Using a miswaak anytime of the day.
7. Breastfeeding the baby.
8. Injections will not break the fast provided that the medicine
does not reach the brain or stomach directly.
9. Smelling any fragrance provided that there are no vapors.
10. Smoke which is inhaled un-intentionally.
FACTORS THAT BREAK THE FAST
1. Eating, drinking, smoking breaks the fast.
2. Sexual intercourse even if there is no ejaculation.
3. Applying of medication into the anus.
4. Eating, drinking deliberately after having eaten mistakenly.
However, eating, drinking forgetfully does not break the fast.
5. Medication and instruments inserted into the woman's private
6. Masturbation will break the fast and it is a sinful act.
7. Ejaculation as a result of caressing and fondling the wife
even if there was no sexual intercourse.
8. Applying medication into the nostrils. Similarly inhaling of
nasal pumps will nullify the fast.
9. Deliberately vomiting. The Hanafi's say it must be a
10. Water slipping down the throat whilst performing wudhu even if
not done deliberately.
MAKRUH (undesirable) ACTIONS WHILST FASTING
1. Using powder or toothpaste to clean the teeth. However, if it
slips down the throat the fast is nullified.
2. Caressing, fondling the wife. However, if ejaculation does not
occur then the fast is valid.
3. Tasting of food is undesirable if done unnecessarily. However,
if the husband is an ill-tempered person then it will be permissible for
the wife to taste the food whilst she is preparing it provided that
nothing goes down her throat, the fast will be valid.
4. Swimming as there is fear the water will enter the mouth.
5. Back-biting or using vulgar language will decrease the reward of
6. To gargle the mouth whilst making wudhu.
7. Participation in un-Islamic activities. The reward of the fast
is destroyed by indulging in such unlawful activities.
8. To make iftar when in doubt as to the time of sunset. If it
becomes evident that the fast was broken before sunset then qadha is
9. To eat when in doubt at sehri time. Subsequently, if it
transpires that sehri time has expired then qadha is obligatory.
10. To unnecessarily apply ointment to the lips.
Thanks & Best Regards
MIRZA HASEEB UL HASAN
P.W. RO Plants, Wells & Distribution
IP # 2518
Please report any
broken links to
Copyright © 1988-2009 irfi.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer