1. Fasting is not just refraining from eating and drinking, but it is also refraining from everything else that Allah has forbidden.
2. Intend to fast every day with Iman and pure intention seeking the reward from Allah alone. The Prophet peace be upon him said, "No servant fasts on a day in the path of Allah except that Allah removes the hellfire seventy years further away from his face."
3. Read the whole Qur'an at least once during the month as the Prophet peace be upon him did.
4. Have Suhoor (daaku) as the Prophet peace be upon him said, "Have Suhoor because it is blessed". It is considered best to delay it (that is, as close to dawn a possible).
5. Make Du'a during the fast because the Prophet peace be upon him said that three people's supplication is not rejected- one of them is the fasting person. Ask for the good of this life and the next for yourself, your family and Muslims in general.
6. Make Du'a before opening the fast. The Prophet peace be upon him said, "The fasting person has a supplication that is answered when he opens his fast".
7. Give Sadaqah and be good to people. The Prophet peace be upon him was the most generous of people and he was most generous in Ramadan.
8. Avoid anything that diminishes the fast such as, lying, backbiting, cheating, getting angry. The Prophet peace be upon him said "Whoever does not give up false statements (i.e. telling lies), and evil deeds, and speaking bad words to others, Allah is not in need of his leaving his food and drink (fasting)." [Bukhari]
9. It is preferred for the fasting person to hasten in breaking the fast when the sun has set. Do not eat too much after Iftar
10. Ask for forgiveness since this is the month Allah frees people from the fire.
11. Pray night prayers (qayam ul lail) with Khushoo. If you pray in the Masjid complete the Salah with the Imam. If you pray at home prolong the Salah as long as you can. The Prophet peace be upon him said, "Whoever prays during Ramadan with Iman and seeking reward (from Allah) his past sins will be forgiven".
12. Being generous and studying the Qur'an is recommended during any time, but it is especially stressed during the month of Ramadan. Feed the poor and invite others for Iftar. The Prophet peace be upon him said, "Whoever gives Iftar to someone fasting he will have the same reward without decreasing the reward of the person fasting".
13. Try harder the last ten nights especially the odd nights. The prophet would strive in Ramadan more than he would in any other month and more so in the last ten days.
14. Say this Dua in the nights that Laitul-Qadr is likely to fall on: Allhumma innaka afuwun tuhibbul-afwa fa'fu anni (O Allah you are Forgiving and love forgiveness so forgive me).
15. Abu Sa'id al-Khudri reported that the Prophet, (P.B.U.H), said: "Whoever fasts the month of Ramadan, obeying all of its limitations and guarding himself against what is forbidden, has in fact atoned for any sins he committed before it."
Abu Mas'ud 'Uqba ibn 'Amr al-Ansari al-Badri reported that the Messenger of Allah, (PBUH), said, "Anyone who shows the way to something good has the same reward as the person who does it." [Muslim]
E.g. if you encourage someone to go for Salah, or pay Zakat and the person actually goes ahead and prays or pays Zakat, Allah will reward him for the good deeds and at the same time give you (the one that encouraged them to do good) an equal reward as he has given them- without decreasing what he gave them.
So Encourage Other To Do Good And Refrain From Bad Deeds
Please report any
broken links to
Copyright © 1988-2012 irfi.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer